Health care costs are on the rise, and business is in a downturn. Your employees need their health care plans- so what is an employer to do?
Maybe the idea is in making an investment in wellness. What that means in a nutshell is taking your employees' physical health seriously! Believe it or not, doing just that can potentially save you up to 50% on your heath care costs.
I'm sure some ears perked up at that idea! So how do you start?
- Start a fitness program, for example. This can really motivate your employees to exercise and live a healthier lifestyle. Provide gym memberships as a benefit to your workplace. Provide pedometers and have a company-wide contest to see who can walk the furthest.
- Become a tobacco-free workplace and provide tobacco cessation programs and/or individual coaching for employees and their spouses by a certified tobacco cessation specialist.
- Give your employees an incentive for improving their health! Offer them an opportunity for cash by participating in wellness programs and exercising. Have a quarterly health screening and reward those who have improved.
- Be sure that you are committed to the program, as well. Show your "team spirit" and let this become a chance to improve your relationships with your employees.
- Endorsing a healthy lifestyle will not only save you money on your health care costs. You'll likely also see lower absenteeism and employee turnover. The benefits will also lead to a happier, more positive work environment.
So what are you waiting for?